- 3 large bananas
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups spelt flour
- ¼ cup of golden flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mash bananas in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the almond milk, coconut sugar vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
- Add the flour, ground flaxseeds and chocolate chips together and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-44 minutes.
- Watch carefully during the last 10 minutes of baking to cover with foil if the top is browning too rapidly.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
Option: If banana bread does not have to be “nut free” – feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts for some extra crunch and an omega 3 boost.
Dear Dr. Joey,
I am in disbelief after completing the first week of your “Give me one month” plan. I literally let out a yelp when I stepped on the scale this Friday, after just one week on the plan and saw that I lost 4 pounds!!!!!!! I have been struggling to reach 145 for months now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!I cannot believe how simple and easy your one month plan is.
I immediately jumped onto your one month plan after seeing you on Cityline last week. I’m going to Punta Cana at the end of May so the timing of your appearance was perfect. I thought “hey, I can do this for one month, let me give it a try for one week, just to see if I like it”.
Let me tell you….. I love it!
Sending an email like this is totally against my nature, but I just had to give you a shout out and praise you on this fantastic and realistic plan. I cut out dairy and gluten and drank 2 litres of water a day, plus the green tea, along with all of your other suggestions. My energy is up, my weight is down, and my motivation is through the roof.
I only have 5 more pounds that I want to lose to reach my goal of 140. Im sure I’ll get there in no time. I am thrilled. Once again, and I can’t say this enough, Thank you Dr. Joey!!!!!
Stephanie Mongillo, Bolton Ontario
To find out more on my “just give me a month plan” click here http://www.cityline.ca/2013/04/just-give-me-a-month/
One year later – A note or appreciation
Hi Dr. Joey,
I reached my goal weight in Jan 2012. One year and a couple months later and I have kept the weight off! Even more importantly, as a result of your program and guidance, I now have control over my weight. If I do gain a few pounds, I can easily get back on track and drop those pounds with very little effort.
My initial goal back in the fall of 2011 was to get to a healthy weight by the time I turned 50. I am 6 months away from my 50th. I feel great, have a ton of energy, and love seeing the shock on peoples’ faces when I tell them that I will soon turn 50! I even had to show someone my ID last week because they couldn’t believe it.
It was just in the last couple months that I really recognized how much I have learned and changed since working with you. I recently had a short period when I wasn’t eating well and put on about 7 lbs. I went back to the way I was eating when I was seeing you and without any effort – those pounds came off. That is when I realized just how much control I have gained over my weight in a really peaceful and calm way.
Finally, I don’t have to stress out if I gain a bit of weight. I just have to take stock and get back on track. Because of what I have learned and experienced by working with you, I have 100% confidence that I will never gain back those extra pounds that I struggled with all my adult life.
Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen medium sized cookies
- Prep time: 8 minutes
- Cook time: 12 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes (plus cooling time)
- 2 cups quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2-teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet chocolate chips are a classic, feel free to use your favorite chocolate chip – my son loves butterscotch!)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, with racks in the upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together quinoa flour, baking soda, and salt set aside.
- In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the melted butter and brown sugar on medium speed until it combines into a caramel colored syrup (1-2 minutes).
- Beat in the vanilla and egg (about 30 seconds)
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients until just smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Using a small scoop portion out 12 cookie dough balls onto each baking sheet. Space dough balls 2 inches apart.
- Bake until the edges are golden but the centers are still soft and puffy (about 10-12 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer parchment paper and cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Looking for a healthy winter recipe? Try this squash and goat cheese quinoa filled with protien, vitamin C and whole grains. Easy and delicious!
- 1 cup rutabaga, cubed
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 oz of Woolwich plain chevrai goat cheese
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1) Preheat oven to 425, cube rutabaga and butternut squash, coat lightly in 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast vegetables for 25 minutes or until tender. Let cool
2) Toast 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
3) Add roasted vegetables, toasted seeds and goat cheese to cooked quinoa.
4) Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and Italian seasoning mix until homogenous.
Enjoy your Valentines Day with these decadent truffles! Healthy and absolutely delicious!
- ½ cup pitted Prunes
- ¼ cup pitted Dates
- 3 TBS almond butter
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 3 TBS unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup finely grated unsweetened coconut
- In food processor drop prunes and dates through the feed hole one by one. Scrape the processor bowl and run until the prunes and dates are smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the coconut. Run until smooth and scrape bowl as needed.
- Roll the mixture into 12 one-inch balls and roll in coconut to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Makes 12 balls.
Courtesy of www.drjoey.com
The egg bake is a tasty high-protein, flourless option that will keep you sufficiently sufficed. Feel free to experiment with the vegetables, adding a variety of your favourites to the bake.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled goat’s feta cheese
- Sea salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic, broccoli and mushrooms to skillet and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until broccoli softens slightly (it does not need to be fully cooked, as it will continue to cook in the oven).
In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese and salt. Stir in the sautéed vegetables, then pour mixture into an oiled pie plate.
Bake for 30 to 35 mintues, until browned around the edges and cooked through. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with a side salad.
Per serving: 331 calories, 24 g total fat, 9.5 g carbohydrates, 19 g protein, 2.5 g fibre, 0.5 g sugars
I love this Kale chip recipe. It is the perfect way to get your greens and enjoy a crunchy snack at the same time. Best of all – it only takes 5 minutes to make! Enjoy.
Instead of eating chips, eat this virtually “free snack”! Low in calories and high in anti-oxidants, beta carotene and fiber – how can you go wrong?
- 1 bunch Organic Kale
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 – 1 tsp Saltpreheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Rinse kale and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut off stems and tear leafs off of the rib. Throw away the center rib pieces and set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together oil, vinegar and salt and add the Kale. Gently toss.
3. Put parchment paper on two baking sheets and divide kale among them. Bake for 5-7 minutes until crispy.
Question: Dr. Joey – why are you such an advocate of drinking water with lemon?
Answer: Traditional Chinese medicine has touted the benefits of lemon for centuries. High in antioxidants and vitamin C, lemon is a superstar fruit for myriad health complaints and even for weight loss purposes. Lemon is a natural astringent and a “master cleanser” of the body. When consumed regularly, lemon juice can help to stimulate elimination in the digestive system and help purify the liver by removing by-products and waster matter. As we now know, digestion has a key role in a healthy weight loss program and daily elimination is essential. It is not unusual for someone to experience constipation in the early stages of any weight loss program. Regularly consuming warm water with freshly squeezed lemon will help to promote regular and healthy bowel movements.
Although lemons are acidic, they are alkalizing in the body, and the body thrives in an environment that is alkaline rather than acidic. Acid-forming foods (refined flours, sugars, alcohol, red meat, cheese) also tend to be the foods that promote weight gain, inflammation and sluggish bowels.
Do not use bottled lemon juice as a substitute, as it can contain sulphites, which on rare occasions can cause allergic reactions. The benefits outlined above are with fresh lemons. Into 1 cup (250 mL) of warm water, squeeze the juice of 1/2 fresh lemon. Drink 15 to 30 minutes before your first meal of the day, and feel free to drink more than a cup of lemon water per day or at night to curb cravings. If you do not like lemons, substitute limes.
Detox Lemon Drink
- 1 cup of hot or room temperature water
- 1 large wedge of lemon
- 1 tsp of pure honey
Boil water, if desired, and put water in a glass or mug. Immediately squeeze lemon wedge into water. If you want to put the wedge directly into the water, make sure you wash the lemon beforehand. Add honey into mug and enjoy!