Tasty (and simple!) turkey meatballs
- 2 pounds of lean ground turkey or chicken
- ¾ of whole grain bread crumbs
- ½ cup of finely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup of chopped onions
- 1 tbsp of sea salt
- 2 omega 3 eggs
- 2 tbs. of olive oil
- ½ of chicken broth (organic and low sodium is optimal)
- Mix turkey, bread crumbs, carrots, onion and salt in a large mixing bowl. Crack open 2 eggs and continue to mix.
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add meatballs. Cook and turn until meat is slightly browned on the outside (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth into skillet and reduce heat until liquid is absorbed (approximately 6 minutes).
When I first began the practice of not eating past dinnertime – I have to be honest – I found it quite difficult. Like many people, I was an emotional eater who turned to food after my kids were asleep as a sweet reward at the end of my day. Unfortunately, research shows that late night eating the wrong type of foods is a one way ticket to weight gain, bloating and fatigue.
When I try to break my clients of nighttime eating – I turn them on to “free foods and beverages. These foods and drinks can be eaten or drunk at any time without causing a negative effect on your weight. In order to burn belly fat, lose weight and boost your energy, your after dinner free foods are:
- Your free foods include all vegetables with the exception of potatoes (white and sweet), peas, corn and squash. In other words – feel free to munch on the following vegetables (in limitless quantity) – carrots, broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, cucumbers, radishes, celery, lettuce and cherry tomatoes. I find red peppers and cherry tomatoes specifically helpful when having a sweet craving. These low calorie, nutrient dense foods will not hinder your digestive capacity or ability to lose weigh in any way.
- Keep your cupboard well stocked with a variety of herbal teas (lemon, blueberry, peach, strawberry, etc.) When you feel the urge to eat, have a cup of tea instead. One of my favorite sweet teas is Bengal Spice tea by Celestial Seasning.
- Try drinking a glass of water. Often times we mistake our hunger and thirst signals.
- Fill up on 2 Dr. Joey’s Skinnychews which provide a long “mouth feel”. Dr. Joey’s Skinnychews are also filled with 2 grams of inulin fiber per chew. Inulin fiber has been shown to help with hunger, balance blood sugars and aid in digestive health. Naturally sweet and deliciously chocoaltely – you can’t go wrong. To make them last even longer, keep Dr. Joey’s Skinnychews in the freezer. For more information, please visit ww.drjoey.com
- If you know you will be working late, pack a healthy meal for dinner or…plan ahead.
- Think 80-20. Even if you stop eating by 7pm 5x per week – your body will thank you.
Late night eating often goes hand in hand with emotions and feelings – happy, bored, sad, lonely – we eat! Our relationship with food is often one of the most powerful relationships we develop early in life. It is also one of the hardest to change because unlike alcohol, drugs, cigarettes – food cannot be eliminated completely of course. We simply have to make the shift to create a peaceful relationship with our food choices
When first starting to change a food behavior, it takes focus, mindfulness, will power and a look into the “why” of your eating patterns. In other words, what are your triggers. Is it situational or rooted deeper than that? Luckily, physical and mental health and intertwined. Thus, when you start to make nutritional changes and eat better, you will soon start to feel better with your appearance and your body. Throw some cardiovascular activity and weight training into that equation and voila…thinks start to slowly shift. I encourage all of my clients to force themselves to stop eating after dinner (with the exception of free foods) for a minimum of 30 days. My entire goal is to get you “addicted” to feeling better. If you fall off the health wagon and eat or even binge in the first 30 days – do not panic. This is common and happens. Simply dust off your knees, put your chin up and continue on. I assure you…you can do it. You can make the shift.
I would like to share with you a note I received from a client and Cityline viewer about her weight loss experience. Her sentiments and story are testament to the fact that health is indeed the first wealth. Thank you Margaret for sharing.
Dear Dr. Joey,
I would like to thank you again for the support your staff gave me after being one of the Skinnychew winners from the contest you held in March. I started your program and taped every show you did on Cityline. Whenever I needed some reminders, I just re-played the shows.
April and May went well and I was losing weight and feeling great. Here is the hard part to write. As a result of the weight loss around my chest (almost 3 inches), I felt a lump in my chest and spent June being tested and learned I had breast cancer. I had a mastectomy on July 16th and am in recovery. I do not know where the next few months will lead me, but am thankful for winning the contest as the weight loss may have saved my life. I went into the surgery feeling the best I have ever felt. I have learned what it means to eat healthy, and I am sure it will help in my recovery from cancer. I did reach my goal weight of 138 in June, and as of today – I am at 132 pounds. I would like to thank you again for all the support and guidance I received.
All the best,
Thank you Margaret…your story inspires us all. God bless.
Thank you to my family (sister, mom, dad and hubby!) and staff who helped me at the Canadian Health Food Association show today. People LOVED Dr. Joey’s Skinnychews and cannot wait to watch it appear on Dragon’s Den October 23rd! Check out the new look of our website at www.skinnychews.com.
Dr. Joey’s Detox Smoothie
It is a smoothie time of year! For breakfast, lunch or dinner – this nutrient dense detox smoothie will fill you up, optimize digestion and help you burn fat. The low glycemic berries are filled to the brim with anti-oxidants and the ground flaxseeds offer fiber and omega 3. Enjoy!
- ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp of vanilla Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of arugula,
- 1 tsp of green matcha powder
- ½ frozen banana
- 1/4- 1/2 cup of Europe’s Best frozen berries
- 1 tbsp of ground flaxseeds
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend on high for 2 minutes.
- 3 large bananas
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups spelt flour
- ¼ cup of golden flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mash bananas in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the almond milk, coconut sugar vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
- Add the flour, ground flaxseeds and chocolate chips together and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-44 minutes.
- Watch carefully during the last 10 minutes of baking to cover with foil if the top is browning too rapidly.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.
Option: If banana bread does not have to be “nut free” – feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts for some extra crunch and an omega 3 boost.
Dear Dr. Joey,
I am in disbelief after completing the first week of your “Give me one month” plan. I literally let out a yelp when I stepped on the scale this Friday, after just one week on the plan and saw that I lost 4 pounds!!!!!!! I have been struggling to reach 145 for months now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!I cannot believe how simple and easy your one month plan is.
I immediately jumped onto your one month plan after seeing you on Cityline last week. I’m going to Punta Cana at the end of May so the timing of your appearance was perfect. I thought “hey, I can do this for one month, let me give it a try for one week, just to see if I like it”.
Let me tell you….. I love it!
Sending an email like this is totally against my nature, but I just had to give you a shout out and praise you on this fantastic and realistic plan. I cut out dairy and gluten and drank 2 litres of water a day, plus the green tea, along with all of your other suggestions. My energy is up, my weight is down, and my motivation is through the roof.
I only have 5 more pounds that I want to lose to reach my goal of 140. Im sure I’ll get there in no time. I am thrilled. Once again, and I can’t say this enough, Thank you Dr. Joey!!!!!
Stephanie Mongillo, Bolton Ontario
To find out more on my “just give me a month plan” click here http://www.cityline.ca/2013/04/just-give-me-a-month/
One year later – A note or appreciation
Hi Dr. Joey,
I reached my goal weight in Jan 2012. One year and a couple months later and I have kept the weight off! Even more importantly, as a result of your program and guidance, I now have control over my weight. If I do gain a few pounds, I can easily get back on track and drop those pounds with very little effort.
My initial goal back in the fall of 2011 was to get to a healthy weight by the time I turned 50. I am 6 months away from my 50th. I feel great, have a ton of energy, and love seeing the shock on peoples’ faces when I tell them that I will soon turn 50! I even had to show someone my ID last week because they couldn’t believe it.
It was just in the last couple months that I really recognized how much I have learned and changed since working with you. I recently had a short period when I wasn’t eating well and put on about 7 lbs. I went back to the way I was eating when I was seeing you and without any effort – those pounds came off. That is when I realized just how much control I have gained over my weight in a really peaceful and calm way.
Finally, I don’t have to stress out if I gain a bit of weight. I just have to take stock and get back on track. Because of what I have learned and experienced by working with you, I have 100% confidence that I will never gain back those extra pounds that I struggled with all my adult life.